Child Protection Coordinator
Save the Children in Yemen is looking for eligible candidates for the position of
Title: Child Protection Coordinator
Term/Program: UNICEF EiE (Education in Emergency) project.
Location: Yemen –Ibb
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Save the Children International (SCI) Yemen has an annual budget of around USD 70 million and growing, working mainly on the humanitarian response to the ongoing conflict and its impact. SCI Yemen has over 700 staff and 1500 volunteers and works in nine governorates across Yemen through five field offices and two sub-offices in addition to the Country Office based in Sana’a. Save the Children Yemen seeks an experienced Finance & Reporting Coordinator to support the Senior Project Manager to lead an ambitious new Education in Emergencies (EiE) project funded by UNICEF. The goal of the $9m, 21-month project is to provide access to quality learning opportunities and protection services for out of schoolchildren living in IDP sites. The program will be primarily based on SCI signature’s Accelerated Learning Program (ALP) and Basic Literacy and Numeracy (BLN) curricula, but it will also include the pilot of UNICEF newly developed Self-Learning Program (SLP). The project aims at supporting a total of 22,900 children in 4 governorates (Hodeidah, Hajjah, Taiz and Ibb) and activities will be implemented by SCI and its partners (SOUL in Taiz, SDF in Hajjah and LMMPO in Hodeidah).
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Child protection coordinator
Reporting to: Child protection Officers
1. Leadership and coordination
- With the support of the technical leads, the CP Coordinator will provide timely, accountable and consistent leadership to Case management program and CP officers to promote and facilitate their active participation / involvement to achieve the CP program Goals.
- Lead CP team under his / her supervision to map out priority child protection issues, gaps and identify key resources and assets, including existing child protection systems (both formal and informal) for prevention and response to child protection needs.
2. Needs assessment
- Work to coordinate and ensure active participation of SCI CP program in inter-agency needs assessments led by the related Protection / Child protection / GBV sub-Clusters
- Share and reflect assessments findings in child protection programming.
- Work to ensure that Ibb CP project and work plan are reviewed / updated to reflect the ever-changing context, in particular in Ibb and Yemen, in general.
- Contribute to plan the implementation of the Child protection Program in Ibb and ensure timely delivery of the projects activities against the set-time bounded plans.
- Ensure / follow up CP Team’s weekly and monthly work plan for Child protection project are in harmony with the detailed implementation Plans of Ibb- CP program.
4. Capacity building
- Support the capacity development of the CP Team, Community Committees, volunteers and SC implementing partners staff
- Ensure that SC implementing partners’ staff, other child protection key actors have effective participation in the trainings run by SC child protection programme.
- Provide support and orientation for Child Protection Officers, PSS, Case Management and CFS staff and other team members on Child Protection program
5. Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate performance of the SC CP / implementing partners staff by monitoring and reporting on activities and needs, measuring progress against the child protection strategy and agreed upon results,
- Contribute to provide recommendation for corrective action where necessary based on based on community- and child participatory approaches.
6. CP Advocacy
- Work together with the CP PM to ensure that the SC CP / SC implementing partners and key Stakeholders that SC is working with are aware of relevant technical standards on Child Protection and relevant commitments that the concerned authorities have undertaken under international human rights law and the national legislative framework.
- Together with the CP Team undertake technical reviews of projects budgets tracking, reviews, and contribute to provide analysis of the implementation progress, challenges and recommending steps ahead of CP projects.
- In consultation with the CP Team / CP PM represent SC Ibb CP in SC inter-sectors, humanitarian coordination meetings and other meetings as required
- Prepare/ draft / compile progress reports, SITREP, updates and relevant donor reports and share them on the right time with child protection program manager for revision and provide feedback if required.
- Ensure that activity info report is shared with CPWG on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that reports required by local authorities and related sub-clusters are shared on time and with high quality.
- In close coordination with CP Team, ensure partners reports are shared on time.
- Draft any other reports / updates / information that may be related to CP Programme
- Any other tasks that the CP program may need?
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Creates a managerial environment to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust.
- Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realize their full potential, and to build the organization’s capability for the future.
- Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practice within and outside the organization.
- Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in ever-changing and uncertain global and working environments.
- Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence.
- Displays consistent excellent judgement.
Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified Child protection professional with experience for at least 2 years in managing and implementing Child protection programs (preferably in an Emergency field).
- Training skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Computer skills in word and excel
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Very Good English language skills
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children and to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the Children International seeks to always be a child safe organization through fulfilling its obligations to the community and through programme implementation carried out by the organization for safeguarding children and to improve the living standards of the child.”
“Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply”
How to Apply
Kindly use this link to apply:
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل
Other jobs from Save The Children
Policy, Advocacy, Campaign Director (Re-Advertised)Deadline:21 Aug | Sana'a
Environmental and Social Safeguarding Officer (ESSO)Deadline:20 Aug | Ibb
Humanitarian Operations ManagerDeadline:18 Aug | Sana'a
Health & Nutrition Program ManagerDeadline:19 Aug | Hajjah
Environmental and Social Safeguarding OfficerDeadline:17 Aug | Sa'adah