Education Programme Coordinator
Save the Children International (SCI) Yemen Country Programme has an annual budget of around USD 70 million and growing, working mainly on the humanitarian response to the ongoing conflict and its impact including more recently on the cholera outbreak. The SCI Yemen has over 700 staff and 1500 volunteers and works in nine governorates in the north and south of the country through seven field offices and two sub-offices in addition to the main office in Sana’a.
The purpose of this position is to coordinate the implementation of the Gateway Education program in Aden and provide technical and managerial support to program staff to ensure smooth implementation of all planned activities. The Program Coordinator will coordinate all program activities implemented by the Gateway project in Aden Governorate to ensure effectiveness and efficiency of SCI work.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Staff reporting to this post: Education Officers
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- With the support of the Deputy Chief of Party, oversee the technical implementation of the Education Program in Aden and Lahj and ensure the timely delivery of the project’s activities with Quality.
- Develop weekly and monthly work plan for Education projects in Aden and Lahj and support Officers in preparing individual weekly work plans and review his/her performance on weekly and monthly basis.
- Actively contribute to the planning of field visits and supervision checklists in advance of trips and report back to the Deputy Chief of Party.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Chief of Party and Project Officers develops detailed implementation plans and ensures that the project is being implemented according to budget, time and quality parameters of Save the Children SC.
- Ensure that activities are appropriately planned and that delays and constraints are documented on a timely basis and solutions identified.
- Develop weekly transportation plans, prepare and follow-up Procurement Requests for trainings and procurement.
- Responsible for project delivery, including the day-to-day management of project site activities and volunteers.
- Responsible for tracking project expenses and follow up on a daily basis in collaboration with project officers.
- Manage project spending and review the BvA accordingly to make sure that the expenses are being posted and expenses are on track with the project’s lifetime.
- Support the direct implementation of project activities technically including community mobilization and planning activities, the distribution the different materials to beneficiaries and the training of MOE, GEO and DEO officials, Fathers and Mothers’ Councils (FMCs), teachers, school principals and other personnel.
- Contribute to the development of relevant project manuals and guidelines.
- Ensure activities are completed within time and report any concerns to the Deputy Chief of Party.
- Conduct regular visits to projects sites to provide technical guidance/support and identify issues that need timely action and support at different levels
- Identify and report challenges to remove any obstacle that might arise during projects implementation and communicate these challenges to the Deputy Chief of Party.
- Submit weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly reports for MOE and governorate related activities as per agreed SC formats.
- Coordinate with relevant local authorities, FMCs, community leaders, and other relevant key stakeholders such as INGOs, local NGOs, and community-based organizations in the implementation of education projects in Aden.
- In collaboration with all relevant Education personnel, engage with children and adolescents to effectively monitor the implementation and impact of the Gateway project on children’s issues, including issues of Education access and quality.
- Pursue and promote the principle of multi-sectoral integrated programming both within SC and with other development agencies working in Yemen.
Supervise and Manage Staff
- Ensures that staff understands their responsibilities and duties.
- Provides technical and operational support to the Education Officers, Assistants and volunteers.
- Facilitates training for staff according to identified and prioritized needs.
- Ensures staff and volunteers understand Child Safeguarding policy and report any concerns.
- Gives constructive feedback to team members especially the direct reports in order enhance capabilities and responsibilities of the team.
- Works to ensure that the workplace is inclusive and the talents of individuals are harnessed to ensure synergies and to achieve individuals and organisational success.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Accountability and Quality
- Implements M&E systems in project sites s/he is responsible for and ensures that the agreed tools are used properly.
- Conducts regular field monitoring visits according to requirements and plans, ensures quality of Save the Children’s program reporting and flags any concerns to the Deputy Chief of Party.
- Supports Gateway’s research and technical assessment activities both from a technical and logistical perspective.
Collaboration and Representation
- Fosters collaborative, transparent and accountable relationships with partners.
- Uses negotiation and conflict resolution skills to support positive outcomes
- Represents Save the Children in a professional manner in programming matters with MoE, MoSAL, MOPIC, Protection and Education cluster, INGOs/NGOs and communities and participates in relevant meetings with these partners.
- Collaborates with other team members to ensure synergies and consistency in our programming approaches.
- Complies with Save the Children policies and practices with respect to Child Protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Able to access and analyse key issues in the humanitarian situation and formulate actions around them.
- Contributes to the development of Gateway’s risk assessments and develops effective contingency plans
- Actively engages in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation; supports the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts.
- Takes appropriate, coordinated and consistent action to handle situations of personal risk and risk for others.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Qualified Education professional with 5-year experience in managing and implementing complex Education programs (preferably in an Emergency field)
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Sociology, Community Development, Disability Inclusion, Early Childhood Care and Development, Social Policy and Planning.
- Proven expertise in some of the following areas: community development (including mobilization and planning), teacher training and mentoring, early childhood education and development, disability inclusion, social and emotional learning, education research and assessment
- Proven experience in planning and coordinating programs in complex conflict settings
- Experience in the development of program manuals and guidelines
- Experience of networking and working collaboratively with other development partners
- Excellent training and facilitation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Arabic
- Excellent interpersonal skills and capacity to work within a team
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Computer skills in word and excel, preferably full Microsoft Office Suite
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandates and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Sound knowledge of Child Protection principles, policies and programs
- Experience working with children in the following contexts: disability programs (including referral mechanisms and case management), non-formal education, formal basic education, student councils/clubs, girls’ clubs etc.
- A sound understanding of MOE systems and programs coupled with experience of working with MOE and other government agencies at both national and sub-national levels
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We are looking for people with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children and to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the Children International seeks to always be a child safe organization through fulfilling its obligations to the community and through programme implementation carried out by the organization for safeguarding children and to improve the living standards of the child.”
How to Apply
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply. You can apply here.
Deadline for submitting applications: 20th Sep 2021
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل