Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer
Post Title: Environmental and Social Safeguards Officer
Organization: Social Fund for Development
Duration: Full-time, including 3-6 months probationary period according to YEMEN FOOD SECURITY RESPONSE AND RESILIENCE PROJECT
Location : Sana 'a
No. of Incumbents: 1
Date Announced : 25th of November 2021
Closing Date: 08th of December 2021
Purpose of position
Emphasis on implementing the requirements of environmental and social safeguards in the SFD's sub projects according to environmental and social framework and ESMP
The Social Fund for Development (SFD) was established in Yemen by law No. 10/1997, as one of the social safety network components, to alleviate the side effects resulting from the economic reform programs.
The SFD’s aims to improve the access of poor communities to the basic social and economic services and to create a model of an effective and efficient organization providing services, supporting local authorities, enabling target communities to participate in local development, promoting income generating activities and creating permanent and temporary work opportunities.
SFD's Safeguards is looking to recruit a dynamic and experienced individual to join its team. The opening will support the operation in ensuring that the SFD’s environmental and social safeguard policies are applied to improve operations and services for internal and external use, contribute to improve and insure compliance with occupational health and safety (OHS) guidelines. As well as ensure compliance and enforcement of safeguard measures to prevent injuries and accidents and taking of appropriate response measure to address lawfully and rightfully any fatality and injury that may happen, also ensure consistency with SFDs' partner's environmental and social safeguards.
Under the guidance of the head of technical unit, and direct supervision of the Environmental and Social Safeguard Specialist .The successful ES Officer will work collaboratively with all Units members. She/he will be expected to work in a fast changing and dynamic environment with multiple priorities and pressing demands including the following:
- Contribute in reviewing of existing Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) as well as the procedures and guidelines and update according to international standards to ensure application of advanced safeguard policies, frameworks, guidelines and toolkits.
- Advise and instruct on various environmental, social and safety topics and implement the activities as agreed in the environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP) of the Projects
- Contribute in development and ensure conducting of OHS &ES risk assessment and enforce preventative measures.
- Review Environment and Social Management Plan "ESMP" from the branches to ensure it is of compliance to ESF.
- Translate Environment and Social Management Plan "ESMP" from Arabic to English and vice versa.
- Regular update the environmental and social management plan to comply health, safety, social and environment requirements
- Ensure inclusion of stakeholder engagement plan and labor management plan in all ESMPs.
- Conduct regular field visits to assess subproject sites, effectiveness of emergency plan and meet with the local beneficiaries to make sure that no adverse environmental or social impacts are occurring or anticipated; and to identify potential areas of non-compliance with the environmental and social safeguards policies at sub-project level and suggest required mitigation measures.
- Conduct environment and social training to SFD employees in HQ and branches according to the annual training plan.
- Prepare Safeguard reports regarding OHS & ES to direct supervisor.
- Developing and uploading training courses on the SFD digital platform.
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by the supervisor
1-Master’s degree (with at least 1 years of experience) or a Bachelor’s degree (with at least 3 years of experience) in environmental management, social sciences, and safety or another closely relevant field.
2- Has completed relevant trainings or certifications.
Required Experience and Skills:
1 - Knowledge and understanding of international Health, Safety, Social and Environmental impact assessment standards and practices (with an emphasis on social standards and social impact assessments).
2 - Excellent Microsoft Office Suite, including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, word processing.
3 - Teamwork: Proven leading and interpersonal skills
4 - Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising the quality, team spirit and constructive working relationships with all colleagues.
5 - Knowledge of nature and trends of multidimensional inequalities and disparities, issues of social exclusion (including issues of disabilities, gender and ageing) and ability to identify potential risks and practical social inclusion measures.
6 - Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and oral.
How to Apply
- First register your profile at: SFD Recruitment System
- After creating your account, complete all section of your profile and submit.
- The application should comprise of a CV and one-page cover letter explaining the applicants' interest and suitability for the position
only short- listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل