Shelter & WASH Engineer - Marib
ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 39 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 20 million beneficiaries with 6,300 international and national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Ibb, Hudaydah, Raymah, AlDhalee, Saadah, AlJawf, Aden, Dhamar and Marib.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g., distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g., income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g., rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
- Position: Shelter & WASH Engineer
- Department: Program
- Location: Marib
- Contract Type: FIXED TERM
- Contract Duration: 3 months
Assessment and planning
- Assess shelter and physical infrastructure needs in IDP sites;
- Assess water and sanitation needs, available resources, and the capacity of existing systems in IDP sites;
- Negotiate access for assessment in IDP sites if needed and obtain necessary authority approvals with support of the Deputy Project Manager;
- In consultation with Deputy Project Manager, CCCM team, Shelter and WASH Officers, and Sub-National Shelter/NFI/CCCM Cluster, select sites for ACTED intervention, to conduct rehabilitation and support in the site for project duration with Shelter and WASH services;
- Conduct consultation with community representatives (including women) – in collaboration with CCCM teams – during assessment, design, and planning phases;
- Ensure an appropriate plan of intervention is in place for each site, designed with ACTED CCCM team as part of an integrated site approach, and well communicated to the community;
- Design appropriate Shelter interventions for the sites, in line with Cluster guidelines. In informal settlements this might include provision of emergency or transitional shelters. In collective centres, this might include rehabilitation of buildings e.g. sealing-off to be weather-proof, temporary partitioning for family privacy, installation of doors or handrails;
- Design appropriate Infrastructure interventions for the sites, in line with Cluster guidelines. In informal settlements this might include drainage works, creation of footpaths, or small-scale re-planning of the site to improve spacing between shelters and reduce fire risk or improve safe access to latrines. In collective centres, this might include improving building access, or medium-scale rehabilitation works;
- Design appropriate sanitation systems for household and community. This includes management of liquid and solid waste, drainage and vector control (in collaboration with CCCM) and complementary hygiene promotion and hygiene materials needs;
- Support WASH and Shelter Officers to appropriately design and plan hygiene interventions (including distributions of hygiene and cholera kits and hygiene promotion activities);
- Ensure accessible and safe designs and site planning including in WASH facilities. Facilities should be accessible for persons with limited mobility, and considered safe and accessible by women, elderly, and vulnerable persons, with appropriate public lighting installed or available at household level. Latrines must be gender-separated, well-lit, and lockable;
- In collaboration with ACTED CCCM team, assess fire risk in the sites and implement mitigation and response measures e.g. re-positioning of shelters, installation of fire buckets, and collaborate on training community members accordingly;
- Prepare technical drawings, specification lists, and Bills of Quantities for rehabilitation and installations;
- Ensure plans are in place for sustainable operation and maintenance of each intervention beyond project duration, ideally through community self-management, prior to commencement.
Implementation & monitoring
- Supervise contractors, and/or daily labour work teams during installation and rehabilitation works and regular monitoring and maintenance, ensuring quality and timely implementation;
- Complete and sign work Completion Certificates, verifying that works have been completed to specifications contained in BoQs and contracts;
- Work with ACTED CCCM team and Shelter and WASH Officers to form community Committees responsible for operation and maintenance of infrastructure, if relevant, agreeing with the community the responsibilities of the members, procuring materials, and delivering trainings;
- Develop and deliver necessary training and awareness sessions for staff and beneficiaries (e.g. on water treatment, water source maintenance, sanitation facility maintenance);
- Conduct regular monitoring and maintenance of Shelter and Infrastructure situation in the sites, in collaboration with CCCM team, as needed;
- Input to ongoing site monitoring of service standards and site safety audits conducted by CCCM teams and/or protection partners, and implement recommendations.
Project management & reporting
- Devise project workplans, with support of Deputy Project Manager, to ensure all contractual targets are met on time and on budget while delivering work of a high technical quality;
- Liaison and coordination with local authorities, host community leadership, and IDP leadership, with support of Deputy Project Manager / Liaison department, to obtain necessary permissions;
- Actively keep Deputy Project Manager updated on project progress, including reporting of problems and challenges;
- Timely and accurate submission of regular internal reporting as requested by the Deputy Project Manager / Project Manager.
- Develop and submit accurate order forms and Bill of Quantities for works, in line with project budget requirements, in a timely manner;
- Support Logistics Department in technical review of bids by suppliers or contractors;
- Undertake basic logistics tasks as needed, e.g. stock reception, quotation collection, as required by the Logistics Officer / Area Coordinator.
- Support the Deputy Project Manager in the review of shelter and infrastructure-related project expenses and forecasting.
- Supervise WaSH/Shelter officer, WaSH/ assistants, daily labours by providing leadership and support delegating responsibilities;
- Identify capacity-building needs, and train staff e.g. in technical, project management, and communication areas as needed.
Transparency and Compliance
- Ensure compliance to ACTED internal procedures and donor procedures;
- Accurate record keeping of project documentation in soft and hard copy.
- Consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities and interventions;
- Promote and adhere to ACTED’s Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) policies, and any codes of conduct in place in IDP sites;
- Ensure participation and inclusion of women, youth, people with specific needs, and marginalised groups in all aspects of programming.
- Perform any additional task as requested by the line manager.
Job Requirement (Qualification and Experience)
- University degree in Engineering or another relevant field;
- At least three years practical hands-on experience implementing construction and/or WASH projects;
- At least one year’s experience in water treatment and supply or sanitation;
- At least one year’s experience implementing emergency humanitarian shelter and/or infrastructure response and/or WASH response;
- At least one years’ experience of project management, including budget management;
- Ability to develop and empower team members;
- Excellent team-working and communication skills;
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic, English is an advantage.
How to Apply
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV and a cover letter in English to: email@example.com
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail: “Shelter & WASH Engineer” -Marib.
- Please rename your CV as: First & Last name+ Shelter & WASH Engineer CV.
- Please rename your Cover Letter as: First & Last name Shelter & WASH Engineer CL.
- The closing date for applications is Tuesday, 27 September 2022.
- Candidates from Marib governorate are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Due to the urgency of this appointment, shortlisting and interviews will be on a rolling basis and candidates might be identified before the closing date.
ACTED has a zero-tolerance approach to sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment (SEAH) and ensures that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited. All candidates will be subject to satisfactory references and screening checks in line with legal requirements. Any candidate offered a job will sign ACTED’s Code of Conduct and related policies as part of their work contract. All staff are expected to abide by the standards of behavior outlined in those documents. Misconduct can lead to dismissal.
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed above in regard to this job will result in disqualification.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل
Other jobs from ACTED
Wash & Shelter Project Assistants (3)Deadline:25 Sep | Al-Dale'a
Hygiene promotor/ WASH & Shelter Project Assistants (2)Deadline:27 Sep | Ma'rib
CCCM Project AssistantDeadline:02 Oct | Ma'rib