Country Director - SYRIA/JORDAN
COUNTRY DIRECTOR - SYRIA/JORDAN
An experienced, strategic leader with excellent networking, fundraising and people skills.
War Child Alliance (WCA) is a dynamic organization. We try to keep an informal ambiance within our office, with a lot of room for creativity, inspiration and self-initiative from employees. We practice what we preach: dynamic, innovative, integrity focused, and a drive to reach the highest possible results against the lowest possible costs. War Child offers a challenging job in an inspiring workplace.
You will lead the development and implementation of the Country Strategy in line with War Child’s global strategy and relevant to the local context. This includes responsibility for financial health of country operations, security, team management and external representation. The Country Director is ultimately responsible for quality programme implementation, partnership management, and programme sustainability.
The Country Director reports to the Regional Director and
you will directly manage the Syria/Jordan (S/JO) Management team (SMT).
The incumbent will deliver on the following Key standard responsibilities of the Country Director the context of the above imperatives:
- Lead the participatory development and updating of the country strategy and annual plans, and oversee the implementation, reviewing, and monitoring of the strategy and plan in line with the War Child Global Strategy.
- Build strong strategic partnerships and effective relationships with government agencies, local and international non-governmental organizations, and donors to ensure holistic, integrated, quality, and sustainable programs scaling of evidence based Interventions and the center of the process.
- Strengthen existing relationships and build new relationships with strategic partners and donors aiming at institutional fundraising
- Represent WCA in coordination platforms, meetings and events
- Overall responsible for security management, ensuring continuous context monitoring, risk analysis, regular updating of security plans, security decision making and incident management as needed
- Oversee and ensure that HR, Logistics, Supply and Finance management is carried out in accordance with local laws, WCA policies and procedures and applicable donor guidelines
- Foster and develop effective leadership within the country office, and a work culture that promotes staff well-being and creates space for staff participation in decision making
- Promote and uphold the War Child Integrity Framework and "Do No Harm" principles, aiming at strong awareness and respect by War Child staff and partners of all relevant policies and principles in this regard
- An experienced and inspiring leader;
- At least 15 years relevant experience in an international/humanitarian context of which 8 years in a senior management position (e.g. as Representative or Country director);
- Experience in security management and context analyses;
- Experience in the Middle East;
- Relevant academic background e.g. psychology, pedagogy, community development, social sciences, international relations;
- Experience in working with local partners and preferably in our field of expertise;
- Experience in financial management (including management of multiple grants);
- Fluent in English; strong preference for additional languages such as Arabic and French;
- Strong problem solving and social skills;
- Proven affinity with War Child’s mandate.
- Preference for local or regional candidates,
Our Terms & Conditions
A challenging job, within an inspiring and motivated team of people and the support of a strong and professional organisation in the Netherlands.
A fair salary and comprehensive secondary benefits and opportunities to develop and learn professionally.
- Job location: Amman, Jordan
- Contract type: Local contract, salary grid and Terms & Conditions will apply. Expats will be offered an expat package.
- Contract duration: War Child Alliance will offer a 1 year contract with the intention to prolong into an open ended contract depending on mutual agreement and performance
- Working hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
How to Apply
This position to be based in Amman, Jordan. This role is open to national, regional and international candidates. National and regional candidates are highly preferred and encouraged to apply for this position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply before 22 February 2024. Make sure to upload your English CV (maximum of two pages) and cover letter.
N.B. War Child will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and reserves the right to close the vacancy if a successful candidate is identified prior to the closing date.
Please mention where you found this vacancy.
Is this not your dream job? Support War Child by sharing this job with your network!
War Child is committed to humanitarian values, standards and norms and we expect the same from job applicants. War Child is especially committed to safeguarding the children and youth we support and doesn’t tolerate any form of abuse. Because we want to prevent and deter any actions that place children and youth at risk, conduct references are an important part of our recruitment procedure. As part of the selection process, War Child will request standardized references in accordance with the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and a recent Criminal Records statement.
War Child has a dream that every child lives in peace - no matter who or where they are. That’s why we pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity employer. We promote diversity and belonging in everything we do and select our potential new colleagues without regard to gender, race, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age or sexual orientation.
To ensure that we spend as much of our resources on the support of children and youth, War Child needs to operate as efficiently as possible. This means we can only process job applications received through our websites.
If we appoint a suitable candidate before the given closing date, the vacancy will be removed from our websites. In this case, any responses received after removal will not be processed. Sometimes the closing date of a vacancy is extended. If so, and you have not yet heard from us, your application will remain active.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل