Education Project Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the Children International seeks to always be a child safe organization through fulfilling its obligations to the community and through programme implementation carried out by the organization for safeguarding children and to improve the living standards of the child.
Position: Education Project Officer
Location: Aden and Lahj
Contract Length: 4 Months
Save the Children International (SCI) Yemen Country Programme has an annual budget of around USD 70 million and growing, working mainly on the humanitarian response to the ongoing conflict and its impact including more recently on the cholera outbreak. The SCI Yemen has over 700 staff and 1500 volunteers and works in nine governorates in the north and south of the country through seven field offices and two sub-offices in addition to the main office in Sana’a.
Under the direct supervision of the education Manager, the Education Project Officer will be responsible for the monitoring, supervision the day to day implementation of SC project activities (direct implementation and partners monitoring) in the Aden and Lahj .
SCOPE OF ROLE
Reports to: Education Manager
Staff reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Responsibilities
Needs Analysis and Program Design:
- When required, assist in needs assessments – both internal, joint or IA assessments, Situation Analayis as appropriate.
- Participate actively in developing a Education and child rights governance strategy.
- Share ideas and insights in proposal development when required.
- Familiarity with key technical areas
- Manage Support the implementation of high quality program activities in line with EDUCATION country program strategies, grant agreements and with relevant SC technical requirements
- Monitor the partner implementation against the established indicators detailed in the projects Logical Framework and implementation plans.
- Conduct field visits as required to verify program activities relative to stated targets.
- Provide technical input and deliver (or support the delivery of) program in close coordination with the partner.
- Work across different contexts, including local communities, informal settlements, community spaces etc. with a particular focus on outreach work.
- Maintain and update the schedule of events and deadlines to be notified on time to the staff involved.
- Plan and ensure that program activities are well understood by both project assistants and volunteers and are efficiently and effectively implemented
- Organize and facilitate all capacity building (training) efforts targeting Fathers and Mothers Councils, teachers (for TICC, PFA, remedial teaching, social and emotional learning) and school leadership (for disaster preparedness plans etc)
- Oversee all efforts geared at improving the learning environment in schools; this includes managing school supplies, overseeing minor rehabilitation of schools and reporting on challenges in a timely manner; Ensure that materials to be delivered to schools are sent on time, as required by specific dates and deadlines, communicating them in advance to school leadership
- In coordination with the project assistant, prepare photos for the project activities for the sign off process.
- Track the project expenditure ensuring there is no under/overspend in the budget lines.
- Prepare and update the project BVA, forecast, DIP, and proecurement plan.
- Follow up on the project MOU status with local authority.
- Provide the project activities data to the IM officer in timely manner. Ensure the data project is documented (soft and hard copy).
- Attend official internal and extranl meetings when needed to represent the education program.
- Monitor progress of activities against planned objectives, outcomes and impact; evaluate the continued relevance and appropriateness of the program activities based on community- and child participatory approaches (accountability system)
- Plan and ensure that program activities are efficiently implemented, fully understood and manageable by the field team.
- Manage the implementation of high quality program activities in line with the detailed implementation plan (DIP) as well as with other relevant SC technical requirements
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Submit weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on the project progress and those required by partners, donor and ensure delivery before the deadline to the Program Manager.
- Assist the Program in preparing monitoring reports (technical and financial) for submission to multiple donors according to timelines agreed upon and procedures.
- Ensure that reports of activities and materials to be delivered are sent on time, as required by specific dates and deadlines, communicating them in advance to the staff in charge;
- Monitor program implementation against the established indicators detailed in the project’s MEAL Plan and implementation plans.
- Monitor progress of activities against planned objectives, outcomes and impact; evaluate the continued relevance and appropriateness of program activities based on community- and child participatory approaches (accountability system)
- Assist the MEAL team in the preparation of monitoring reports (technical and financial) according to agreed procedures and timelines
- Ensure that the project-specific progress reports and relevant donor reports are timely and serve to inform management decisions. This includes internal monthly reports and the humanitarian monthly reports to EDUCATION SC activity info reports).
Support in capacity building :
- Identify and report to supervisor about partners development needs and opportunities, as per programme needs and coordinate for its implementation.
- Document all trainings carried out and share your report with the EDUCATION coordintors and manager and others as appropriate
- Ensure the availability, at all times, of basic training equipment and materials in all offices and programmes.
Administrative and financial:
- Coordinate with the responsible accounting and administrative staff for the issuance of invoices, monthly wages, quotations for project’s procurement;
- Assist in managing the day-to-day operations of the projects, including the keeping of financial and other records to facilitate audits.
- Monitor the procurement of goods and services for the project and ensure execution according to the rules and guidelines established by relevant donors.
- Consult with children and communities on complaints handling.
- Design and implement appropriate feedback mechanisms that are contextual, effective, accessible and safe for children and their careers, and that ensure that feedback is recorded, reviewed and acted upon.
- Ensure that feedback is integrated into regular programme planning, implementation, M&E and reporting.
- Support our partners in setting up accountability mechanisms.
- To act in a respectful and culturally sensitive manner towards the community
Qualifications and Experience:
Post graduate Education in development or other relevant field (equivalent in professional experience may also be considered).
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 2 years management experience of running education programmes, both in emergency and normal circumstances .
- Familiarity with the Area context .
- Very strong knowledge and understanding of key technical areas of EDUCATION programming, and a working knowledge of the other sectors that include CP, livelihoods and health
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- An in-depth understanding of national development issues in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of working with a multi-cultural team and the adaptability to varied team dynamics
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Writing and spoken English & Arabic
- Commitment to Save the Children Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy and values
- Good knowledge of safety standards and legislation related to construction and rehabilitation in Yemen
- A good team worker willing to learn from others, listen and provide sound technical advice on construction that will benefit children
- Strong organizational and planning skills with good communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل