Senior Emergency Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
- Job Title: Senior Emergency Officer
- Country Program: Yemen
- Location: Sana’a with frequent travel to program sites
- Duration: 9 months
- Salary Band: 8A
- Start date: 1 July 2023
THE IRC IN YEMEN
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and regain control of their future. The IRC Yemen began its programs in October 2012 and currently operates in the south and north of the country through direct programming and local partnerships. The country program operates from main offices in Aden and Sana’a and field offices in Abyan, Al Dhale’e, and Hodeidah governorates.
After eight years of war and economic collapse, the operating environment in Yemen is characterized by a protracted complex emergency and overlapping acute emergencies linked to armed conflict, displacement, restricted access to essential services, food insecurity, malnutrition, disease outbreaks, and natural disasters. The IRC’s programs respond to both chronic and acute emergency needs.
With support from ECHO, the IRC manages an Emergency Preparedness and Response Mechanism (EPRM). The EPRM works with a network of pre-positioned partners to respond to the immediate needs of affected populations through flexible and responsive humanitarian assistance. EPRM supports responses in Abyan, Aden, Al Bayda, Al Dhale’e, Al Jawf, Hajjah, Hodeidah, Lahj, Marib, Sa’dah, Shabwah, and Taiz governorates.
The Senior Emergency Officer supports the quality implementation of emergency responses across the IRC Yemen country program, with a particular focus on support to EPRM. The position supports the Emergency Coordinator with context monitoring and emergency preparedness, emergency response coordination, and EPRM project management. The Senior Officer will travel to different field locations, including remote and hard-to-reach locations and must be able to perform to a high standard in challenging and insecure conditions. This is a cross-cutting role that works with technical program teams in the areas of health, nutrition, WASH, NFI, protection, and food security. The Senior Officer will also work closely with the partnerships and operational support departments.
This position reports to the Emergency Coordinator and is based in Sana’a with frequent travel to program sites.
Emergency Monitoring & Preparedness
- Regularly monitor and report on emergency trends across Yemen. Using both external and internal information/data, provide updates related to IRC Yemen’s early warning indicators and emergency triggers on a monthly and adhoc basis, and collect required data for emergency classifications when needed.
- Ensure the EPRM emergency alert system is regularly monitored, communicate with relevant stakeholders (e.g., local authorities, clusters, I/NGOs) to collect information on contextual changes and emergency situations, and raise alerts when needed.
- Support the implementation and follow-up of key emergency preparedness actions identified in IRC Yemen’s EPP.
- Participate in due diligence of partners in order to assess their capacity to implement emergency responses.
- Assist with providing trainings to partners and IRC staff on emergency-related topics.
- Attend relevant cluster meetings and share relevant information with the emergency team.
- In coordination with the Emergency Coordinator, represent IRC in coordination meetings with local authorities and NGOs in Yemen.
Emergency Response Management
- Actively lead and participate in rapid needs assessments independently or with program teams and produce basic assessment reports.
- Make response recommendations for IRC and/or partners based on evidenced needs.
- Undertake regular and frequent supportive field visits, and monitor progress of IRC and partner activities.
- Strong communication with communities to disseminate information about emergency assessments and responses and obtain relevant information, including feedback in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Ensure adequate documentation and data collection during emergency responses.
- Support internal and external coordination to enable rapid and effective emergency responses.
- Support program teams when needed to carry out direct-IRC emergency response interventions.
- Ensure accountability to donors and beneficiaries (notably through ensuring a functional feedback mechanism).
- Support the engagement with and technical support to implementing partners as requested.
- In collaboration with technical program leads and the Supply Chain department, support the procurement, pre-positioning, and timely distribution of emergency supplies.
- Support the Emergency Coordinator and Senior MEAL Officer in the documentation of lessons learned to capture program performance.
- Support the development and review of IRC and partner reports and proposals.
- Support the tracking of program procurement and expenses.
- Take part in partner opening, review, closure, and adhoc meetings.
- Identify new funding opportunities for emergency responses.
- Other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor to further IRC emergency programs.
- Minimum of three years of experience working on humanitarian programs in Yemen.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant subject strongly preferred.
- Previous experience supporting multi-sector acute emergency responses strongly preferred.
- Experience working with national NGO and local partners on emergency management preferred.
- Experience in training, supporting, and mentoring NGO/CBO staff.
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required.
- Willingness and ability to frequently travel across Yemen, including to remote and insecure locations, is required.
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills and comfortable working as part of a diverse team. Sensitive to interpersonal differences and a range of viewpoints.
- Highly diplomatic with excellent political awareness and advanced negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated advance planning and organizational skills. Able to effectively prioritize and follow multiple activities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Flexible and innovative. Able to adapt plans and pivot approaches in response to changes in context.
- Proactive, reliable, and able to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Work Environment: There is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility of the conflict expanding into other locations. The situation in Aden is currently quiet but remains unpredictable. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
The IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل