Database Assistant (IM) This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Open to Internal and External Candidates
- Position: Database Assistant (IM)
- Organizational Unit: Information Management and Technology Unit
- Duty Station: Yemen, Sana’a
- IOM Classification: G5
- Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
- SVN No. : SVN2022.063
- Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Closing Date: Wednesday, 29 JUN 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator (Information Management) and the direct supervision of the Database Analyst/Developer, and the incumbent will be responsible for implementing the activities related to information management and reporting required by IOM programmes. Specifically, the incumbent is expected to perform the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Participate in needs assessments and work with the team on the definition and specification of requirements.
2. Provide support in the specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of existing and new applications.
3. Train and provide technical support to users to facilitate productive use of the applications.
4. Support the configuration, administration, monitoring, maintenance, and security of applications and databases.
5. Create, manage, and maintain database objects to be used for applications and reports.
6. Implement software development SOPs establishing source control, backup, recovery, and issue tracking using IOM standard tools.
7. Assist in the preparation of technical and user documentation, as well as in the production of training materials.
8. Respond promptly within accepted timeframes to application’s user support and enhancement requests facilitating continued operation of the said applications.
9. Timely report needs and progress on issues in his/her area of responsibility.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience
- University degree in computer science or a combination of relevant education and professional experience.
- A minimum of five years of increasing responsibilities in software development using ASP.NET/C# with SQL Databases, PHP, ArcGIS, PowerBI and a minimum of two years of experience in developing web-based database applications and thin-client Web-based applications.
- Experience working with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organisations, and International NGOs) and in complex operations, including conflict and post-conflict situations preferred.
LANGUAGES: Fluency in English and Arabic (Verbal & Written) is required
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organizational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Correctly applies knowledge of specialized IT disciplines
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties
- Identifies sources of and secures funding from external stakeholders to meet IOM needs
Emergency and Crisis
- Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments
- Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures
- Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners
- Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information
- Solid technical knowledge of SQL Server 2008/2012/2016 administration and programming, HTML, CSS, Java Script, ASP.NET C#, knowledge of XML, COM, and SQL Server Reporting Services.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS, Web services, XML, SOAP, HTTP, SharePoint and web authoring software would be an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
- Females with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- As part of the application process, all candidates, regardless of the type or duration of the contract, must disclose any known relative who works for IOM or is engaged with IOM in any capacity.
- Non-compliance with the relative disclosure requirement can constitute a basis for withdrawal of offer of employment, or if the employment has begun, terminating the employment contract and/or disciplinary action.
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل