Protection Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other healthcare providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Job Reference Number: MDM/ADN/PRO/1123/023
Position: Protection Officer
Reporting to: Program Activity Manager – Aden
Technical Line: GBV Manager or Medical Coordinator
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (Protection Officer), based in Aden, to start as soon as possible.
Under the direct supervision of the program activity manager and in very close coordination with the medical team, the Protection Officer supports the operations, efforts to fulfill MdM’s mandate and associated obligations on protection prevention, risk mitigation, and response based on policy and guidance. S/he collaborates closely with the Protection/GBV Manager in the country and strengthens working relations with other agencies involved in GBV/protection prevention, risk mitigation, and response. S/he will be responsible for accompanying the smooth implementation of quality women protection response and prevention activities, in line with MdM’s strategy. S/he will ensure the implementation of protection program activities, in close collaboration with the medical team and under the supervision of the technical GBV Manager (or Medco). S/he will provide daily technical support to the service providers, partners, and community stakeholders involved in the provision of services to survivors and/or in prevention activities.
TASKS DESCRIPTION: Implementation of Protection activities (prevention and response)
- Support the development and implementation of programming for specialized GBV prevention and response based on needs, risks, and capacity assessments at the onset of an emergency and throughout all phases of the project cycle.
- Support the project activity manager in defining and adapting the strategy for MdM’s prevention and response to violence against women, men, boys, and girls in Yemen.
- Contribute to ensuring the quality of protection activities by providing technical advice and recommendations to service providers (e.g. nurses, midwives, doctors, psychosocial counselors, and social workers…) for the management of complex cases and/or to improve the quality of services offered to survivors, in line with international and national guidelines and MdM's strategy and in collaboration with the GBV Manager of the mission.
- Support the harmonization of GBV strategies in the region and alignment with MdM global policies and commitments, support exchange of expertise and practices in the area of the project.
- Participate in conducting, consolidating, and reporting on GBV assessments including gender equality components whenever requested, linked to annual planning processes and participatory assessments and sharing strategic trends analyses.
- Under the guidance of the GBV Manager/Medco, support and facilitate the establishment of and ensure the functioning of GBV coordination mechanisms with all relevant stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Operating Procedures, tools for data collection, management, and analysis, supervision tools, and technical guidance on protection for the mission in Yemen.
- Support the service providers in implementing the SOPs and referral pathways, and in following up on cases from their identification to their full recovery.
- Contribute to the regular update of the mapping of actors and services responding to violence against women, men, boys, and girls and the development and updating of safe and viable referral pathways for survivors.
- Ensure respect for strict confidentiality regarding protection program information management.
- Maintain protection presence through regular field missions and reports, making direct contact with persons of concern, host communities, local authorities, and partners. In operations applying the humanitarian cluster system, contribute to ensuring that the response of the Protection Cluster is grounded in an AGD-compliant strategy that covers all assessed and prioritized protection needs of the affected populations.
A. Capacity building and training
- In close collaboration with the medical and MHPSS staff, and under the technical guidance of the GBV Advisor from HQ (and the GBV Manager of the mission) help identify the capacity-building needs of frontline service providers, clinics teams, and community outreach teams on violence prevention and response, and support (or take the lead when necessary) to provide those trainings.
- Support the IEC officer and give technical advice for the establishment of the awareness strategy and support, when requested, in the delivery of capacity-building and sensitization sessions of the community and stakeholders on violence prevention and response.
- Share the identified needs with the program activity manager to integrate them into the capacity-building plans.
B. Communication and advocacy
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners, or other actors in advocacy and communication activities of GBV.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM's approach, results, and lessons learned from the program in order to foster information sharing and mutual learning at the national level.
C. Reporting, information management, and internal coordination
- Share with the program activity manager any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate in internal MdM meetings.
- Participate in the protection sub-sector meetings and actively contribute to coordination efforts.
- If needed, participate in meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in women's protection.
- Contribute to MdM monthly report and sitrep, and donor reports.
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals.
- Ensure that monitoring and analysis tools are properly understood and used to facilitate regular monitoring of activities.
- Contribute to planning processes and advocate for adequate resource (re)allocation and mobilization.
- Education: A degree or diploma in social sciences, medical sciences, or any relevant field combined with Training in protection or gender studies is a must.
- Demonstrated professional experience of a minimum of 3 years in social work and/or humanitarian work related to prevention and response, women’s empowerment and/or protection; an experience in an international NGO is an asset.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience (minimum 2 years) in providing/leading services to survivors of violence using a survivor-centered and multi-sectoral approach.
- Experience in child protection is a strong asset.
- Experience in community awareness on violence.
- Excellent knowledge of international standards and guidelines on prevention and response to violence against women in humanitarian contexts and ability to implement a response in accordance with the guidelines.
- Significant experience leading trainings, coaching, capacity building, and mentoring of professionals or local partners.
- Languages: Arabic, English.
- Good computer skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Personal skills required:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well.
- Demonstrate leadership, ownership, and initiative.
- Committed to gender equality, protection, safeguarding, and PSEA.
- Be committed to MdM’s values as an organization and motivated by its non-statutory, not-for-profit model.
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence (e.g. empathy, active listening, promoting respectful communication).
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل