Interpreter (English, Arabic, Somali, Oromo and Amharic) This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based)
E (most hardship)
Family Type (not applicable for home-based)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
CONTR Local Entry and Mid-Level Support
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
February 12, 2024
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Interpreter (English, Arabic, Somali, Oromo and Amharic).
Employment Type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement.
Location: Sana'a, Yemen.
General Background of Project or Assignment:
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a United Nations Agency mandated to provide international protection for refugees and asylum seekers. In this context, UNHCR in Sana’a works closely with the authorities to ensure access to protection services and durable solutions.
The refugee population in the North of Yemen is predominantly Somalis, Ethiopians, and Eritreans. In line of that, UNHCR Sana’a requires qualified interpreters fluent in the languages spoken by refugee to facilitate interaction at UNHCR Reception center in Sana’a.
The Interpreter will work in close cooperation with UNHCR units and functionally report to UNHCR Senior Registration Assistant under the overall supervision of UNHCR Associate Registration and Identity Management Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide consecutive interpretation and written translation to/from the language(s) of specialization, including documents, letters and emails provided/submitted by refugees and asylum-seekers as well other information of UNHCR interest, e.g., from newspapers, written reports, magazines, etc.
2. Assist UNHCR staff with the interpretation of individual interviews, meetings, and workshops with refugees and asylum-seekers.
3. Keep abreast of UNHCR procedures and guidelines related to interviews, confidentiality, and data protection, to ensure quality services.
4. Perform other duties as needed.
Required Qualification and Experience:
1. Minimum Secondary education (completion of high school) required.
2. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. For translators/interpreters, full written and oral proficiency and translation/interpretation skills from and to the following languages: English, Arabic, Somali, Oromo and Amharic.
3. Minimum two years of previous experience in a similar function (translation and/or reception services). Previous experience working with refugees and confidential information would be an asset.
4. Experience of working as part of a team in an international and multicultural environment.
5. Ability to work under pressure in an organized and systematic way and maintain attention for extended periods while maintaining high-quality results.
6. Understanding of UNHCR mandate, empathy for refugees and asylum-seekers and willingness to work with them.
7. Willingness to work flexible hours, when required.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
Other information: This position doesn't require a functional clearance
How to Apply
Attachments / المرفقات
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل