Training & Legal Officer This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Training & Legal Officer - Aden, Yemen (National)
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call’s mission is to ensure that armed groups and de facto authorities respect International Humanitarian Law and basic humanitarian principles in the areas where they fight or they control.
Geneva Call has been engaged in Yemen since 2008 remotely and since 2018 in the country with presence in the field to promote humanitarian norms among armed groups, de facto authorities and communities.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator (ProgCo), the Training and Legal Officer contributes to the implementation of Geneva Call’s operations in Yemen by:
- Providing Geneva Call’s Yemen team with thematic and legal advice on issues related to international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL) and community-based protection;
- Drafting presentations, talking points, and background notes for the Country Director or other relevant Geneva Call member on thematic and legal issues;
- Adapting existing training material to the Yemeni context and proposing additional training exercises and tools adapted to the audience;
- Leading the design and development of new dissemination and training materials according to the program plans and key thematic topics;
- Building the capacity of Geneva Call’s Yemen Team and partners on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection work;
- Leading/conducting awareness raising/training sessions for key stakeholders on IHL/IHRL;
- Supporting operational activities (community protection activities, training activities, workshops, meetings, etc.) as required;
- Contributing to develop and implement communication activities, such as campaigns, events and other initiatives on different thematic areas;
- Performing administrative tasks and taking the lead on specific project activities, as required.
The Training and Legal Officer works under the Program Coordinator and in close coordination/collaboration with the M&E Officer, Project Officers, Project Assistant, as well as with the Security and Context Officer.
For all tasks
- The job holder respects the confidentiality of all programmatic, administrative, financial and HR information.
- The implementation and management of project(s) in accordance to the work plan, budget(s), donor requirements and internal procedures.
A. Planning, Implementation, Training, Coordination & Reporting
- Organize and Conduct IHL/IHRL trainings (and/or other topics) to different target audiences including armed actors, CSOs and local administrative entities in different locations as required;
- Provide expertise and advice to Geneva Call’s Yemen Team on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection work;
- Build the capacity of Geneva Call’s Yemen Team, partners and stakeholders on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection;
- Adapt existing training material to the Yemeni context and propose new training exercises and tools adapted to the audience;
- Design and develop new dissemination and training materials according to the program plans and key thematic topics;
- Contribute to the development of Geneva Call’s Yemen community-based protection work;
- Conduct legal and thematic research and produce internal memos and guidelines related to the conflict in Yemen;
- Ensure the proper implementation and monitoring of activities in accordance with Geneva Call’s and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Ensure the proper flow of information and communication on legal and thematic issues between the Yemen team and Regional Legal & Policy Coordinator.
B. Communication & External relations
- In coordination with the management, regularly engage with comunities, armed actors, authorities, and local and international organizations;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about the project and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and acheivements;
- Support implementation of communications strategy including the production of external communication materials, activities, campaigns, events and other initiatives;
- Draft presentations, talking points, and background notes for the Country Director or other relevant Geneva Call management on thematic and legal issues;
- Maintain and develop contacts with experts on thematic/legal issues and liaise with relevant stakeholders and partners in Yemen.
C. Other Duties
- Attend and represent GC as required at conferences, seminars and other fora of interest to the organization;
- When required, support the country team with other project-related activities (fundraising, project proposals and reports, administrative tasks);
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
Education and experience
- A university degree in a relevant field (Law, public international law, political science, international relations, or related field);
- Minimum 4 years’ work experience in a humanitarian/human rights organization dealing with Training/Capacity building in conflict situations.
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and capacity for in-depth analysis;
- Proven experience in legal analysis in the humanitarian field;
- Proven experience in interactive training/capacity building in the humanitarian field;
- Experience in developing interactive Presentations & Training materials;
- Good knowledge of community-based protection approaches and design;
- Strong writing, reporting, and research skills;
- Experience in developing professional relationships with various stakeholder including armed actors and working in a neutral and objective manner;
- IT Tools (MS Office, Excel, email, KOBO).
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to work under pressure with short deadlines;
- Willingness to travel frequently to high-risk locations, including conflict areas;
- Sensitivity to/understanding of political and conflict dynamics;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to network in a multicultural environment and to develop strong professional relationships with stakeholders and with experience in dialogue with armed groups.
- Required: excellent command in Arabic and English.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the GC Performance Management p. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan
- The Competency Framework
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: Training & Legal Officer
- Type of Contract: Fixed term contract (National position)
- Activity rate: 100%
- Workplace: Aden, Yemen
- Preferred start date: June 1st, 2023
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل