Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Stabilizing Local Administration and Service Delivery in Yemen (SLSD) - (PN.2023.9023.5-001.00) implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 23,614 employees. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security. Our business volume is around 3.3 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH has been working in Yemen on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) since 1969. It opened its office in Sana’a in 1983. In order to deliver flexible support at a time of war and insecurity, GIZ operates in Business Continuity Management mode in Yemen. Yemen is one of the nexus and peace partner countries of the German development cooperation. GIZ implements projects in the fields of water and sanitation, health, education, private sector, and employment, as well as good governance, peace, and local administration. At the same time we support measures to rehabilitate basic services for and enhance resilience of the local population, including particularly vulnerable groups such as internally displaced people. Our actions and decisions are guided by several core principles, the safety of our national colleagues as well as their well-being belonging to the most important ones.
With immediate effect the GIZ Office Sana’a invites applications from qualified Yemeni nationals for the following position:
- Position: Advisor (Al-Mukalla)
- End of Contract: 30.06.2025
- Post Location: Al-Mukalla
The Advisor is responsible and accountable for the following tasks
- implementation of project activities and measures related to supporting stabilization through implementation of small-scale projects / measures, capacity building and overall improvement of local administration structures performance.
- contributing to project development to further expand the SLSD project. This includes the exchange and streamlining of activities with other GIZ projects with activities in the implementation area.
- managing an area of responsibility that forms part of the project objectives, team agreements and/or agreements with the direct superior.
- assisting project initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of implementation partners and target groups aiming at supporting stabilization through implementation of small-scale projects/measures.
- financial management and administration of agreed local subsidies on regional level.
- innovation and knowledge management
- ensuring communication with the project manager and other members of the SLSD project through MS Teams and other modes of communication to ensure the implementation of the project objectives within a decentralized mode of implementation.
- assists and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with different implementation partners and the line manager.
- contributes to preparing and implementing joint project activities with other SLSD and/or GIZ teams within the GIZ Yemen Portfolio or the regional level.
- deals with the conceptualisation, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project’s area of activity.
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives.
- carries out training and/or facilitates such capacity development measures with a national or international experts in different fields to the benefit of the partner structure
- provides technical guidance and oversight of compliance requirements to SLSD project staff, external consultants hired by the SLSD project as well as project partners.
- ensures that project goals are achieved, and services are delivered to beneficiaries.
- monitors the implementation of the SLSD project including the supervision of contractors, grants and implementing partners.
- provides overall guidance and supervision to project staff and consultants in Yemen to ensure that all goals are achieved, and services are delivered.
- warrants strict implementation of "Do no Harm" principles throughout the projects and initiate adjustments whenever necessary particularly in such conflict sensitive context.
- Identifies project possibilities in relation to expressed governmental and civil society needs considering resource mobilization efforts, identifies potential new project opportunities and contributes to the development of SLSD objectives and programming in Yemen, as well as the preparation of project ideas.
- ensuring the communication of project objectives and goals with the local partner structures, foremost the local government partners as well as the regular exchange with partners on the local governance level, e.g. Consultative Committees on the Governorate Level and partners from the district level
- communicating partner needs and demands from the governorate and local level to the project team and the project manager to enable a flow of information to the benefit of the project implementation.
- supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, local communities, relevant international organisations, and non-governmental agencies and with other GIZ projects to improve and maintain good working relationships as well as the streamlining of joint activities and implementation.
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports and contributes to the other reports required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office or GIZ HQ.
- draws up reports, presentations, and documents with the purpose of communication with project partners and as well as external stakeholders
- assists with research activities and studies on different related issues/aspects to the project which benefit joint programmes.
- contributes actively in establishing and implement a monitoring and evaluation system for project activities, reports on field activities, and prepares documentation for reporting and visibility tools.
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the project manager and in cooperation with the partners, both with regards to the implementation of project activities as well as the organisation of project internal procedures and processes
- assists with general project planning, e.g. the development of project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting).
- produces regular internal and external reports, with adherence to project ideas/proposals, signed agreements and institutional reporting requirements to provide an objective overview of project implementation, and staffing/resources and financial issues.
- enables project implementation through coordination of project activities with external project stakeholders such as local government structure, community representatives, partner agencies, implementing partners, donors and civil society.
- supports the financial management and administration of the project by performing and assisting any related procedures according to the internal rules and regulations of GIZ and under the supervision of the project financial manager as well as the project manager.
- realisation of local subsidies in close cooperation with the project partners ensuring a successful financial implementation based on the day-to-day work with local partners and under the supervision of the project financial management
- closely follows up and supervises project administration and financial aspects including the maintenance of appropriate internal controls, the development and implementation of relevant control systems, and the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability under the supervision of the projects financial manager as well as the project manager.
- supporting the project manager in supervision tasks by caretaking for the local team.
- supporting the project manager in decision making processes related to different management aspects by providing necessary basics and drafting proposals for decision making.
- taking over finance related responsibilities based on given authorities by project manager.
- supporting project manager in strategic aspects related to project and portfolio development.
- carries out other tasks for the project, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description at the request of project related staff or project manager.
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- university degree in public administration, development studies, economics, political sciences, social sciences, or related subject.
- engineering background is considered an advantage.
- at least 3-5 years’ professional experience in community based stabilization with at least three years of experience working with international organization (or similar) in field operation in a conflict or post-conflict setting.
- experience in project coordination and managerial responsibilities specifically in the community mobilization and stabilization field
- experience in field-work in a challenging environment and community based stabilization and reintegration processes necessary;
- experience in high risk environments required.
- experience in implementation of “Do no Harm” based projects a distinct advantage.
- demonstrated experience on stabilization related issues and on monitoring, verification, and evaluation frameworks in stabilization environments.
- familiarity with local administration structures.
- familiarity about the assignment area including cultural aspects like local language
- integrity and accountability.
- ability to perform variety of admin and financial tasks.
- Proven experience in planning and organizing workstreams as well as strong qualities in self-organisation.
- communication and negotiations skills.
- teamwork, client orientation, initiative, and creativity
- report writing and analytical skills.
- willingness to travel to very remote and isolated field locations and work in a divers multi-cultural environment
- outstanding working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications
- digital literacy
- excellent written and spoken English and Arabic languages. Knowledge of the German language is considered an asset
- ability to drive vehicle with valid driving license.
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
How to Apply
Please write the full subject line as indicated below, and send your application (cover letter) and CV in English and Arabic to the following:
E-mail address: email@example.com
Subject title: Advisor (Al-Mukalla) - SLSD - Applicant name
Please note that only applications mentioning the full subject title will be considered.
Deadline for receipt applications is: 03.12.2023
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you be invited for interview, you will be asked to present all certificates mentioned in your CV. You will also be asked to provide two relevant professional references to be contacted.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل