WASH Coordinator - (220008MY)
Level 3: intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The WASH coordionator is responsible for the planning and implementation of all WASH program activities in Amran/Sana’a. Responsibilities shall include developing monthly plans based on the master plan, ensuring the implementation of all activities to achieve expected results, staff supervision and mentoring, reporting and data collection, identification of unmet needs and participation in the office coordination team. The WASH coordinator will ensure that project activities are consistent with Save the Children’s programming principles and approaches, draw on relevant best practices and lessons learned, enable children to attain their rights and are compliant with donor regulations.
As part of SC’s dual mandate, the WASH coordinator will participate in emergency preparedness activities and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency, as required.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
- Reports to: Head of Office (Amran/Sana’a)
- Staff reporting to this post: (WASH coordinator will manage 04 WASH officers directly)
- Role Dimensions: Works closely, with Head of Office (Amran/Sana’a), Awards Team, Finance, and other sector`s leaders and all Support Teams in (Amran/Sana’a) office.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Program Planning and Implementation
- With supports from Head of Office and WASH Advisor, develop proposals, implement and monitor monthly activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Head of Office and WASH Advisor and addressed in an appropriate and timely way.
- Review and approve BOQs, drawings and specifications prepared by project technical staff.
- Prepare reports on regular basis including weekly, monthly, quarterly, midterm and final reports according to SCI policy with indicating the challenges, success stories, progress rates comparing to the project work plan and time schedule.
- Communicate, coordinate with the member/donor, and provide all required details/information on the implementation of project activities in consultation and close communication with WASH Advisor.
- Facilitate the work by conducting excellent coordination with local authorities and related stakeholders to ensure smooth implementation of activities and secure movement of team supervising ongoing activities.
- Identify WASH gaps/needs on the ground of work and prepare assessment reports, funding calls and chances with close frequent coordination with WASH program coordinator.
- Technically lead program activities especially training and ensure that they are being implemented within SC’s and international quality standards.
- Coordinate across different program activities to ensure that they are synchronized in a logical order.
- Lead the preparation of all procurement and administrative documents required for program implementation.
- Assist technically the WASH Advisor towards adapting hygiene promotion training manuals to specific local context both at community and school levels; including identification of key hygiene promotion activities as per the context.
- Coordinate rehabilitation works in health facilities, schools and communities including design and supervision of work contracts ensuring that they are completed in time and within budget.
- Technically support the engineers to supervise contractors to ensure work is completed as per the specification and safety standards, is within budget and is signed off by the appropriate authority in timely manner.
Staff supervision and mentorship
- Supervise and mentor direct reports ensuring that they are empowered to achieve their performance objectives and program results
- Conduct performance reviews of direct reports and support them to set performance objectives
- Build capacity of direct reports in technical and administrative areas
- Identify any staffing issues (day-to-day management and/or technical issues) and coordinate closely with the Head of Office and WASH Advisor to resolve them.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Ensure that all program data is properly and regularly collected by field staff, check data and ensure that it is logically presented to the Head of Office and/or WASH Advisor.
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports.
- Lead on and complete bi-weekly sitrep reports and data to feed into the monthly MEAL reports (IPTT).
- Participate in team reviews of results and program progress.
Collaboration and Representation
- Represent Save the Children and the program with government and non-governmental agencies to explain the program, secure their support and follow up with them on progress.
- Actively participate and play a leadership role in the office Coordination Team bringing key issues, proposing solutions and collaborating with other teams to build synergies and efficiencies.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Actively participate in the Country Office’s emergency preparedness and planning processes as requested.
- In case of emergency, be prepared to contribute to the delivery of an appropriate and timely response.
- Deliver results in line with the current proposals and Save the Children’s strategy
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Perform such other responsibilities as agreed with line management
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
University level of civil engineering, hydrology engineering or any relevant field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 3 years of working experience in WASH sector; managerial position in a humanitarian or development context will be added value.
- Experience of emergency WASH project management and program coordination, implementing WASH programs within donor constraints, on time and within budget. The emergency WASH includes water trucking for IDPs, rehabilitation of water systems/points, WATSAN facilities at community/institutional level, WASH NFI distribution, Water quality issues etc.
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of children and their families in the community.
- Strong understanding of water, sanitation and hygiene situation in the community.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven leadership and management skills including planning and budget tracking capacities.
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Ability to supervise and mentor staff to achieve results.
- Ability to travel independently, including to rural communities and work long hours.
- Strong English as well as strong Arabic skills, written and spoken.
- Good computer skills (MS Office, including Outlook for email). AutoCAD knowledge is an advantage.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
“Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply”
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Dec 5, 2022
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل