Senior Programme Assistant (WASH)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Senior Programme Assistant (WASH)
Organizational Unit: WASH
Duty Station: Yemen, Marib
IOM Classification: M6
Type of Appointment: Third Party Contracted (TPC) MPH Monthly Contract, 6 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
SVN No. : CFCV2022.005
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Tuesday 25 JAN 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Working under the overall supervision of the WASH Programme Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Operations Officer (WASH), the Senior Programme Assistant will provide support through the following activities, In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate the implementation of the activities required for the successful completion of the WASH activities under the WASH Programme, following closely the donor(s) requirements and the directions of the WASH Operation Officer.
2. Monitor that the IOM project activities meet their intended scope, time and budget as per the project’s work plan as designed by the WASH Operation Officer and inform of any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
3. Prepare and or review technical specifications, BoQs, drawings of the WASH infrastructure planned to be implemented as necessary.
4. Monitor the project implementation by performing regular visits to the areas of operation, verify that materials are being properly utilized and that WASH items are effectively distributed to the beneficiaries. Follow up the schedule with contractors and prepare completion certificates. Work closely with the administrative units of IOM to coordinate adequate contracts management; close out procedures and final payments to the contractors.
5. Plan and coordinate procurements in line with approved specifications or BoQ, working in close coordination with the procurement and logistics unit to ensure that the required materials and items are procured and delivered to the respective sites in a timely manner.
6. Maintain effective and active communication with all the stakeholders. Prepare and submit regular progress reports to the WASH Operation Officer indicating progress, constrains and requirements for project completion. Ensure that project data and information is archived and shared appropriately.
7. In coordination with the relevant colleagues, ensure that all relevant permits and authorizations are obtained from the local authorities to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
8. Provide necessary information and documentation for the preparation of project proposals for IOM to contact potential donors. Contribute to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response if required.
9. Perform other duties as may be assigned Required Qualifications and Experience Education
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering (Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical) Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Geology or Public Health, with sound knowledge of water, sanitation and hygiene principles for humanitarian assistance, and relevant training attained.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience (Four Years for University Degree holders) in the implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene related projects preferably in the Humanitarian Field.
Languages: English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own
- action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.As part of the application process, all candidates, regardless of the type or duration of the contract, must disclose any known relative who works for IOM or is engaged with IOM in any capacity.
Non-compliance with the relative disclosure requirement can constitute a basis for withdrawal of offer of employment, or if the employment has begun, terminating the employment contract and/or disciplinary action.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”
Posting period: 12 JAN 2022 to 25 JAN 2022
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل