Field WASH Engineer (2)
Field WASH Engineer (2)
Location: Ad Dali’ and Shabwah.
Reports to: Project Manager / WASH Program Manager.
Organization & Background:
A humanitarian, independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that works across Yemen. The organization provides direct assistance for conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities and vulnerable groups in the conflict areas. The organization, in partnership with international agencies, takes action during crisis situations, and goes the extra mile to engage in other contexts where its competencies will add value. The organization promotes durable solutions for conflict-affected populations and helps to restore services, education, economy, wellbeing, and health.
The Field WASH Engineer will be responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the progress of community construction and rehabilitation projects in the assigned districts. S/he is Responsible for day-to-day field management, supervision and provision of regular technical backstopping to WASH and Community projects.
- Oversee and create a community-based oversight system for all engineering works done by contractors.
- Develop detailed bills of quantities (BoQs), drawings, technical assessments and action plans for the construction/rehabilitation works required at WATSAN facilities in the health centers and WASH & community projects in collaboration with WASH program coordinator and engineers’ staff and based on assessment and program requirements, ensuring that recommended work is within the minimum SPHERE standard.
- Develop estimated costs for rehabilitation/construction works.
- Work with WASH program coordinator to draw up works tender documents’ and provide technical support to bid committees.
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship.
- Seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages, especially at the start and completion.
- Supervision of beneficiaries' registration process for WASH & CFW projects.
- Following up the fuel consumption of water supply systems and filling the monthly records.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental). Build strong relationships with local and government partners, local water and sanitation company, GARWASP.
- Supervise and be responsible for all technical aspects of project implementation, and ensure they are completed in a timely, efficient and accurate manner according to standard engineering methods.
- Ensure the contractor is compliant with Statutory Law, safety and security protocols on all construction/rehabilitation sites.
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions.
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff and health canters’ admin staff on how to use and maintain the WATSAN facilities.
- Ensure that variations are approved by the project manager according to organization procedures before giving work orders to the contractor.
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from the acceptable country of origin.
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones, and provide reports to WASH officer so payment to contractors can be processed.
- Regularly update project implementation plans to the project manager with associated timelines.
- Develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that beneficiaries’ safety is central.
- Ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation.
- Responsible for maintaining detailed work plans and written records of engineering work undertaken in the project.
- Responsible for a high degree of awareness regarding the security situation in the project area.
- Watch and report on any new needs arising in the project target areas.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and field visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- Performs other related duties in accordance with instructions from assigned Project Manager and Supervisors.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the organization’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the organization.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Knowledge of the use of information management.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to use sound judgment to ensure the effective and timely completion of complex tasks.
- Ability to work under stress to meet deadlines.
- Positive attitude with a mind-set to deliver development services in a professional manner.
Communication and Computer Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent skills in report writing.
- Good computer skills.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork.
- Self-development and initiative taker.
- Managing conflict.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning.
Qualifications, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, Architecture or relevant disciplines.
- At least three years related experience in planning and implementing, and some supervisory experience; or equivalent training experience.
- Continuous studying and training in the job is required.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Effective use of computers – Word and Excel and preferably a design and drawing software (Autocad, Reviet, etc.).
- Commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability.
- Good knowledge of safety standards and legislation related to construction and rehabilitation in Yemen.
- Oral and written Language skills in English.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
- NGO or humanitarian programming experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply through the below links by Sep 28th, 2023 at the latest:
To apply for the position in Ad Dali, please click the below link:
To apply for the position in Shabwah, please click the below link:
**Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity employer.
- We have a zero tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse. Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s responsibility, and all staff are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct, that enshrines principles of PSEA, always (both during work hours and outside work hours.
Note: RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date, as interviews will be done on rolling bases.
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل
Other jobs from Confidential
مسئول تسويق و مبيعات وتطوير أعمالDeadline:27 Sep | Yemen
Travel Agency ManagerDeadline:27 Sep | Sana'a
Sales Representative (Tourism) - Insurance Experience PreferredDeadline:27 Sep | Sana'a
Internal AuditDeadline:27 Sep | Sana'a
HR Manager - مدير الموارد البشريةDeadline:30 Sep | Sana'a