Finance Assistant This job has ended. You cannot apply anymore.
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Finance Assistant
Organizational Unit: Resource Management (Finance) Unit
Duty Station: Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification: G 5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
SVN No. : SVN2021.054
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Sunday 13 June 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of Head Resources Management Officer (HRMO), and the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer (RMO), the Finance Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Verifies the Payment Requests with the supporting documents before submission to RMO for final verification/endorsement. Verifies invoices and ascertains that the equipment, supplies or services they refer to were duly received before proceeding with the Payment Request
2. Post accounting transactions in SAP accounting system (both account payable and receivable, treasury), as requested and process payments and submit the same for payment processing finalization.
3. Enter accurate data in SAP and make sure that correct GL and WBS are charged and that the charges are within the project duration.
4. Maintain a filing system and oversee the proper custody of financial documents, vouchers, bank correspondence, etc. Ensure that prior to filing the paid documents are stamped “PAID”
5. Retrieve filed and archived documents when needed for audit or other queries within the set time frames and assist in preparation of responses to queries
6. Prepare cheques/ payment instructions (supported by sufficient authorized documentation), after mandatory signatures and maintain safe custody of the currently used cheque books.
7. Process payments for the mission’s telecommunication, postage and taxi costs, landline, mobile, e-mail leased lines, SAT phones and courier with a view to ensure, Activities/Projects are charged the true cost of usage.
8. Invoice staff and third parties for non-official use of IOM resources such as vehicles, telephones, flights and follow up for payment.
9. Prepare bank reconciliations on a monthly basis and assist with month end closure processes, and maintenance of an effective banking system
10. Assists the RMO in cash management, including cash flow forecasts and prepares monthly Mission Funding Requests.
11. Oversees vendor accounts for down payments and vendor accounts and their eventual clearance in a timely manner;
12. Compute travel expense claims, imprest accounts and verify authenticity of the supporting documents provided.
13. Suggest improvements to existing internal controls in order to safeguard the mission’s financial assets.
14. Prepare and dispatch monthly accounts to Headquarters.
15. Assist in carrying out analysis on expenditure on any given Project and produce reports as requested.
16. Provide technical guidance to all staff in the office with respect to financial instructions and procedures.
17. Provide training and guidance to new/junior staff.
18. Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Resource Management or RMO
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree /or Qualified CPA (K) or ACCA or related fields of study.
- At least 3 years professional experience in general accounting and common services preferably with an international organization.
- Prior experience in usage of SAP an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues.
- Mature individual, able to work independently, under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office products (Excel, Outlook, Word etc.)
Languages: English and Arabic
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues' learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines
- Advocates incorporation of financial considerations into processes and procedures
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team's work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
Females with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Important Notes / مقترحات هامة
إتباع تعليمات التقديم المذكورة في كل إعلان ستزيد من فرصة النظر لسيرتك الذاتية من قبل الجهة المعلنة
تذكر أن تكتب إسم الوظيفة و موقعها في عنوان البريد عندما يكون التقديم عبر الإيميل